> Grey Matter Oeuvre - Poetry & Paintings<META name="keywords" content="poetry, poems, poet, art, literature, writing, publishing, publish">

1/24/2006

All my errors and imperfections
Create threads, wires under my skin.
Each one has tangled,
Drawn up my flesh,
Into a constant cringe.

Every trivial folly or past moment’s sin,
Each fault that I still cannot shake,
Hangs from my elbows,
Clings to my heels,
And brings me to tire and to quake.

I strive to evolve, to grow and reach,
While held back by ties and regret.
No ropes bind me,
No one chains me down,
It’s just I who cannot forget.

My religion tells me to forgive myself.
Culture hardly has morals to break.
But, something in me,
Of my own obsessions,
Can never accept a mistake.

7 Comments:

Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Please don't touch it. Its beautiful and raw.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

do NOT remove it. ideasmith is right. the raw emotion connects with a hammer blow.

12:04 PM  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Twist--

nice to see (in this) what you're doing here. People may generally presume a poem like this to be some fanciful whimsy of outlandish imagination; but I'd hazard the thought that such an imagining may have fairly more literal weight & heft to it than often supposed. The poem's insight is one not often given such adequate expression as this, in our (in some respects) abecedarian literatures. Congrats for the good thing you've done for & in poetry.

cheers, d.i.

5:14 PM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

ditto on everything else said. your poetry is your soul speaking, and i think this is too raw, too honest to censor.

6:57 AM  
Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

I'm quite surprised. I found it a bit flat, not raw. But then, I guess I am so acclimated to my own emotions that I see whatever I experience regularly as mundane.

Ok, I'll remove the little disclaimer. Thanks, everyone. :)

3:36 PM  
Blogger ForteLink said...

Your last stanza struck me fully, with all the force that bespeaks familiarity with a subject. I saw myself in this poem, with my own past mistakes and regrets...although, I could not have expressed the sentiment conveyed in this poem better if I tried. Wonderful job.

-Nathan

8:44 AM  
Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

I love the humanity in this piece. The frailties and imperfections in our lives that we must sometimes deal with, but hope to overcome.

I think the third stanza is key. It discusses how try to evolve out of and transcend our own mistakes, and how sometimes the only thing stopping us from doing so is ourselves. Not only does this poem reflect a subtle attention to detail (much of your earlier work is often very direct), it is also very wise.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home